Having great product descriptions are a huge key to success when it comes to selling online. When a potential customer browses your shop, all they have to go by are your photos and descriptions. Below, I’ve come up with 5 tips to help you write amazing product descriptions that will hopefully make your items fly out of your shop!
1. Write your descriptions as if there were no pictures.
You have to sell your customer on an item they can’t physically see or touch. Sound like a daunting task? Not necessarily, just keep your senses in mind! (Sight, Sound, Smell, Touch and Taste) A few pieces of information you’ll want to include:
- What does your item look like, what color(s) is it?
- How big is it? What are the measurements?
- What material is it made from?
- How much does it weigh?
- What does it feel like? What is the texture? Is it soft, rough, smooth?
- What does your item sound like? (This won’t apply to most unless you’re selling something like a music box or wind chimes)
- What does it smell like (Important if you’re selling soaps or candles)
- What does it taste like? (This generally won’t apply either unless you’re selling some type of baked good or food)
What you want to do is make the potential customer feel like they know exactly what they will be receiving. Most people aren’t going to waste their money on something they are not 100% sold on.
2. List some features that make your product unique.
Is there something that makes your items stand out from the rest? If so, your descriptions are an excellent place to say it. Say your product is make from all natural materials, this is a huge selling point for many people. Including that in your description could make or break someone’s decision to purchase from you.
3. Is there a story behind your work?
This especially applies to the handmade community. People who buy handmade items generally appreciate the hard work and personal attention that goes into each and every piece. Including a brief personal story of how this piece was created could really add something special and unique to your description.
4. Are there any special care instructions?
This is very important for clothing or dishware. Is it machine washable? Does it need to be washed by hand? When I buy something, I always check to see how I need to care for the item, so I know if it’s something I can maintain.
When people are looking for information, they want it quick. If someone has a hard time finding the information they’re looking for they may be turned off and decide to look at another seller instead. Now more than ever it is important to factor in that most people are probably looking at your listings via a mobile device. Because of this, you’ll want to write descriptions that cater to cell phones and tablets. Keep your most important information towards the top of each description. Also think about including bullet points, so customers can easily find the information they’re looking for.
If you’ve been having a little trouble figuring out what to write in your product descriptions, hopefully you can use some of these tips and make your online store a success!
Do you have any other advice for writing descriptions? Comment below!
Thursday 7th of November 2019
This is good information. I've tried selling a few things locally, sometimes I feel that it could be my posting, but now I have a better idea how to do it to get things sold!
Thursday 7th of November 2019
I'm so glad this was helpful for you!