Today I wanted to share this free printable Thanksgiving Scattergories game. It would make for a great activity to play with friends and family members while you are all waiting for dinner to be served!
How to play Thanksgiving Scattergories:
Each player is given a blank game board. Next, someone sets a timer for three minutes. (You may want to set the timer for a longer duration if there are a lot of younger children playing).
Once the timer is started, each player must try to think of a Thanksgiving themed word that begins with each letter of the alphabet. For example, for the letter “C” you could write down cornucopia.
You only have three minutes so you may need to skip a few of the more challenging letters and return to them if you have time left at the end.
The key here is to try and think of the most unique Thanksgiving themed words you can. This is because after the time runs out, each player will begin reading out their answer for each letter. If someone has an answer that duplicates another players, then neither player will receive any points. If no one else has written down your word, then you will receive one point.
Continue around the room, reading out your answers for each letter of the alphabet. Whoever has the most points at the end of the game, wins!
Note: It is possible to receive zero points for an answer even if no one else duplicated it. For example if for the letter “L,” someone writes down “laundry detergent,” that is not necessarily a Thanksgiving themed word. However, if the player can successfully convince the person who challenged their answer, they still may receive a point.
It may be helpful to assign one person to the job of deciding if a certain word fits the Thanksgiving theme. I think one of the funnest part of this game is hearing how people justify some silly answers and how they are related to Thanksgiving!
Free Printable Thanksgiving Scattergories Game:
This game is designed to print on a standard 8.5×11 inch piece of paper. For the best quality, I would highly recommend printing on white cardstock. Two games will print per game. Simply use scissors or a paper cutter to trim the two games apart. I am currently using this paper cutter from Amazon for all of my projects and definitely recommend it.
Feel free to print as many games as you would like. However, please do not edit or redistribute the files in any way. This game was intended to be used for personal use only.
Favorite Printable Supplies:
These are a few of my favorite supplies that I use for printable games and activities:
- White Cardstock: For most projects, I recommend printing onto cardstock. It is much more durable than standard printer paper and often produces a higher quality print.
- Crayons: A staple in any crafting household. Crayola is always the top notch choice!
- Kid Friendly Safety Scissors: These are perfect for little kids learning how to use scissors. They cut paper but not fingers or hair!
- Glue Sticks: These disappearing purple glue sticks are by far my favorite! I love buying them in bulk since we use them so often!
- Lamination Machine: Laminating printables are a great way to make them last longer. If you are planning on laminating to make games reusable, be sure to get a bunch of dry erase markers as well.
- Dry Erase Pockets: Dry erase pockets are a great alternative to using a lamination machine when wanting to make printable games and activities reusable.
- Printer: A high quality printer is always recommended for the best results. If you are in need of a printer this Brother Wireless Printer is a great choice.
Thanksgiving themed prize suggestions that would be a big hit!
- Thanksgiving Turkey Sunglasses:
Perfect for silly family photos or a funny Thanksgiving themed accessory, this is a fun prize that kids and adults can both get some use out of.
- Novelty Turkey Hat:
I know plenty of people who would get super competitive if they knew that this hat was up for grabs. Who wouldn’t want to wear a turkey on their head!?
- Novelty Pumpkin Pie Hat:
I would even consider losing a game on purpose if it meant I could see my dad wearing this pumpkin pie hat all throughout dinner!
- Thanksgiving Joke Book:
Great for both kids and adults, this funny Thanksgiving jokes and riddles book will keep everyone laughing.
- Funny Thanksgiving Stickers:
Most kids absolutely love stickers! This would be a great size if you’re playing games with a younger crowd.
More free printable Thanksgiving themed word games:
- Thanksgiving Word Search:
A classic game, this free printable Thanksgiving word search featuring 21 holiday themed words for you to find. Complete the puzzle at your leisure, or set a timer if playing with a large group to make it more competitive!
- Thankful ABC Game:
This game similar to Thanksgiving Scattergories but with the twist of coming up with one thing you are thankful for, for each letter of the alphabet.
- Thanksgiving Word Scramble:
This free printable word scramble game features 15 Thanksgiving themed words to unscramble. Don’t worry, we’ve included an answer key in case you get stumped!
By entering your email address you will be receiving the free digital file as well as subscribing to our weekly email newsletter. You may unsubscribe at any time.