If you are looking for a fun activity to entertain the little ones while waiting for Thanksgiving dinner to be ready then I have got the solution for you! This free printable Thanksgiving lacing card is perfect for keeping the kids having fun and working on their fine motor skills.
What are lacing cards used for?
Lacing cards are a great activity for children that is sort of similar to sewing. The goal is to pass a string or shoelace through the punched out holes around a shape.
What do kids learn from lacing cards?
Besides being a fun activity for kids to do while waiting at a restaurant, at home, school or in the car, they are also a great teaching tool. Lacing cards can help young kids further develop their fine motor skills and also strengthen their pincer grip.
What age group are lacing cards best for?
Lacing cards can be used by all ages but are generally best for ages 3 and up.
- Free printable template (the download link is located at the bottom of this post).
- White cardstock
- Hole punch
- Lamination Machine (optional but recommended)
How to make lacing cards:
First, print out the free lacing card pdf at the bottom of this page. For the very best quality, I would highly recommend printing onto white cardstock to make sure they are as durable as possible.
I would also definitely suggest laminating the cards after they are printed out using a home lamination machine.
One laminated and cut out, you can use a quarter inch hole punch to punch out all of the holes around the turkey shape.
Using a shoelace, yarn or string, start weaving in and out through each hole. It sort of mimics the motion of simple sewing. Continue to make your way all around the turkey shape with the string.
Here are a few different types of string you can use with lacing cards:
- Embroidery thread
Here’s a helpful tip: If your child is having a bit of trouble weaving yarn or string through the holes, you can wrap a small piece of scotch tape around the end to make sure that it doesn’t fray.
Free Printable Thanksgiving Lacing Cards
This activity was designed to be printed onto an 8.5×11 inch sheet of paper. For the highest quality, I would highly recommend printing the turkey out onto white cardstock and laminating the page as well.
Feel free to download and print as many copies of the Thanksgiving lacing card as you would like. However, please do not edit or redistribute the files in any way. This activity was created for personal or classroom use only.
Favorite Printable Supplies:
These are a few of my favorite supplies that I use for printable games and activities:
- White Cardstock: For most projects, I recommend printing onto cardstock. It is much more durable than standard printer paper and often produces a higher quality print.
- Crayons: A staple in any crafting household. Crayola is always the top notch choice!
- Kid Friendly Safety Scissors: These are perfect for little kids learning how to use scissors. They cut paper but not fingers or hair!
- Glue Sticks: These disappearing purple glue sticks are by far my favorite! I love buying them in bulk since we use them so often!
- Lamination Machine: Laminating printables are a great way to make them last longer. If you are planning on laminating to make games reusable, be sure to get a bunch of dry erase markers as well.
- Dry Erase Pockets: Dry erase pockets are a great alternative to using a lamination machine when wanting to make printable games and activities reusable.
- Printer: A high quality printer is always recommended for the best results. If you are in need of a printer this Brother Wireless Printer is a great choice.
More Thanksgiving Freebies:
- Free Printable Thanksgiving Word Search
- Free Printable Thanksgiving Word Scramble
- Free Printable Thanksgiving I Spy
- Free Printable Thankful ABC Game
- Free Printable Thanksgiving Crossword Puzzle
By entering your email address you will be receiving the free digital file as well as subscribing to our weekly email newsletter. You may unsubscribe at any time.