This free printable How many words can you make out of Thanksgiving activity is a fun and challenging game where you have to try and make as many words as you can using only the letters found in the word Thanksgiving.
How do you play the game?
This is the perfect game to play in a school classroom, at a holiday party, or to use as a fun activity at home. Here is how the game works:
At the top of the page there will be a word or a phrase. In this case, the word will be “Thanksgiving.” Using each letter only one time, you will have to come up with as many different words as you can, using only the letters T,H,A,N,K,S,G,I,V,I,N,G. Hint: There are 348 different words that you can make using only those letters!
Here are a couple of examples to get you started:
The goal is to write down as many words as you can on the numbered lines below. There are 30 lines that are provided, however, if you would like to keep going, you can turn over the page and continue to write more words on the back of the page.
How to make the activity more challenging and competitive?
If you are playing this game before Thanksgiving dinner with a bunch of family members, you might want to incorporate some of the following ideas to make things a little more competitive!
Set a timer.
To make things a little more challenging, you can set a timer for 3-5 minutes. If you are playing this game with younger children, you may want to set the timer for a longer amount of time. After someone says “GO,” each player has to try and make as many words as possible before the timer goes off. Once the time runs out, whichever player was able to come up with the most amount of words, wins! Continue reading to learn how to add an extra level of competitiveness by incorporating a scattergories element into the game.
Add a scattergories element into the game.
For this fun twist, all of the players will still have to make as many words as they can during the allotted time. The trick here to to try and come up with the most unique words that you can think of.
After the timer runs out, every player will go around the room and read out loud their answers and compare them. If there is another person that has the same answer as you, you both must cross that word off of both of your lists. Whoever player has the most unique answers at the end of the game, will win!
How many words can you make out of Thanksgiving – Free Printable Game
This activity is designed to print onto a standard 8.5×11 inch piece of paper or cardstock.
Feel free to download and print as many copies of the game as you would like. However, please do not edit or redistribute the files any way. This game was created for personal or classroom use only.
Favorite Printable Supplies:
These are a few of my favorite supplies that I use for printable games and activities:
- White Cardstock: For most projects, I recommend printing onto cardstock. It is much more durable than standard printer paper and often produces a higher quality print.
- Crayons: A staple in any crafting household. Crayola is always the top notch choice!
- Kid Friendly Safety Scissors: These are perfect for little kids learning how to use scissors. They cut paper but not fingers or hair!
- Glue Sticks: These disappearing purple glue sticks are by far my favorite! I love buying them in bulk since we use them so often!
- Lamination Machine: Laminating printables are a great way to make them last longer. If you are planning on laminating to make games reusable, be sure to get a bunch of dry erase markers as well.
- Dry Erase Pockets: Dry erase pockets are a great alternative to using a lamination machine when wanting to make printable games and activities reusable.
- Printer: A high quality printer is always recommended for the best results. If you are in need of a printer this Brother Wireless Printer is a great choice.
Be sure to check out more of our fun free printable Thanksgiving games and activities below:
- Free Printable Thanksgiving Scattergories:
Try and come up with a Thanksgiving themed word that begins with each letter of the alphabet!
- Free Printable Thanksgiving Word Search:
A classic game, this Thanksgiving word search features 21 holiday themed words to find. Work on the puzzle at your leisure, or set a timer if you are playing with a larger group to make it more competitive.
- Free Printable ABC Game:
The goal is to come up with one thing you are thankful for that begins with each letter of the alphabet. It is a great activity to work on before Thanksgiving dinner and then discuss your answer with friends and family.
- Free Printable Thanksgiving Word Scramble:
This word scramble game features 15 Thanksgiving themed words to try and unscramble. We have also included an answer key, so don’t worry about getting stumped!
- Free Printable Thanksgiving Maze:
Work through the maze to reach the Thanksgiving turkey in the center!
- Free Printable Thanksgiving I Spy:
Search for 8 Thanksgiving themed images in this fun holiday I Spy game. Turkeys, pumpkins, acorns, leaves and more!
- Free Printable Thanksgiving Bingo:
Thanksgiving Bingo is a fun game to play while waiting for dinner to be ready. Kids and adults alike will have a blast playing this classic game with a fun Thanksgiving twist. It would even be a great classroom activity to play with students or during a holiday party.
By entering your email address you will be receiving the free digital file as well as subscribing to our weekly email newsletter. You may unsubscribe at any time.