This fun free printable How many words can you make out of shamrock game is a simple yet challenging activity where you have to try and make as many words as you can using only the words found in the word shamrock.
How do you play the “How many words can you make from” activity?
This is a great game to play in a classroom, at a holiday party, or to use as a fun rainy day activity. Here is how it works:
At the top of the page there will be a word or a phrase. In this case, the word is “shamrock.” Using each letter only one time, you will have to see how many different words you can make out of the letters S,H,A,M,R,O,C,K. Hint: There are 191 words you can make!
Here are a few examples:
Write down as many words as you can on the numbered lines below. There are 30 lines provided but if you would like to keep going, feel free to write more words on the back of the page!
How to make the “How many words can you make” activity more competitive?
If you are playing this game at a holiday party, or would just like to make things a bit more challenging and competitive, here are a few alternative ways you can play.
Use a timer.
Set a timer for 3-5 minutes. If you are playing with younger kids, you might want to set the timer for a longer duration. When someone says “START,” each player has to come up with as many words as possible before the timer goes off. Once the timer goes off, whichever player has made the most amount of words, can win a prize. Keep reading to learn how to add an extra level of challenge by incorporating a scattergories element into the game.
Incorporate scattergories into the game.
For this additional twist, all of the players will still have to come up with as many words as they can during the allotted time. Try and come up with the most unique words that you can.
Once the timer runs out, each player can go around the room and read out their answers and compare them. If there is another player that has the same answer as you, you both must cross that word off of your lists. Whoever has the most unique answer at the end of the game, wins!
Favorite Printable Supplies:
These are a few of my favorite supplies that I use for printable games and activities:
- White Cardstock: For most projects, I recommend printing onto cardstock. It is much more durable than standard printer paper and often produces a higher quality print.
- Crayons: A staple in any crafting household. Crayola is always the top notch choice!
- Kid Friendly Safety Scissors: These are perfect for little kids learning how to use scissors. They cut paper but not fingers or hair!
- Glue Sticks: These disappearing purple glue sticks are by far my favorite! I love buying them in bulk since we use them so often!
- Lamination Machine: Laminating printables are a great way to make them last longer. If you are planning on laminating to make games reusable, be sure to get a bunch of dry erase markers as well.
- Dry Erase Pockets: Dry erase pockets are a great alternative to using a lamination machine when wanting to make printable games and activities reusable.
- Printer: A high quality printer is always recommended for the best results. If you are in need of a printer this Brother Wireless Printer is a great choice.
How many words can you make out of shamrock – free printable game
This game is designed to print onto a standard 8.5×11 inch piece of paper or cardstock.
Please feel free to download and print out as many copies of the game as you would like. However, please do not edit or redistribute the files in any way. This activity was created for personal or classroom use only.
More fun free St. Patrick’s Day printables:
- Free Printable St. Patrick’s Day Maze:
Have fun making your way through this maze to reach the shamrock in the middle. It’s a simple yet challenging game that everyone will enjoy playing.
- St. Patrick’s Day I Spy Game:
This fun free printable I Spy game features 8 St. Patrick’s Day themed pictures for you to search for. Everyone will have a lot of fun trying to find and count all of the holiday themed pictures. Four leaf clovers, rainbows, leprechauns, pots of gold and more!
- St. Patrick’s Day Word Search Game:
Search for 15 St. Patrick’s Day themed words in this fun word search activity. Word search games are super fun and may even help kids improve their spelling skills or learn a few new words!
- St. Patrick’s Day Scavenger Hunt for Kids:
Kids will have to find 8 holiday themed pictures around the house, classroom or any other location you would like to set the game up. This scavenger hunt is perfect for toddlers and younger kids.
- St. Patrick’s Day Word Scramble Game:
In this fun free printable activity, you will have to try and unscramble 12 St. Patrick’s Day themed words.
By entering your email address you will be receiving the free digital file as well as subscribing to our weekly email newsletter. You may unsubscribe at any time.